Liz* ~ Procrastinator Extraordinaire

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak I have hated the words andI have loved them,and I hope I have made them right. Beautifully written, heartbreaking and definitely inspiring. * This is not a review * In years to come, he would be a giver of bread, not a stealer—proof again of the contradictory human being. So much good, so much evil. Just add water Ever since I've heard or read about WW2, all I could think about was the evil germans, the evil nazis, the evil Hitler. That'll show you how little I knew. The Book Thief was an honest defense for those whose story hadn't been told. An ode to life, a story of family, love, death and fate.In a little town in Munich, people cried and lost. Moms mourned their sons, families were afraid and little girls hid jews in their basement. Yet, life was beautiful, they brighten up for a plate of cookies and Jessie Owens run the race of his life. Rosa's "Saumensch" actually said I love you with a big and generous heart and Hans' selfless soul always gave it all. Life smiled upon him, even death saluted him as a friend. What is death if not a punishment, right? We're scared of it. We try to escape from it. But for some people, death was a relief, salvation, rest. I realized I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of dying. Alone, incomplete, unhappy. One night a community rested together. They found relief as one, connected by their sorrow, poverty, hunger, children, uncertainty, books and a thief, a beautiful girl too precious for that merciless world. If Hansi was the accordion, Liesnen was the melody. She saw the world differently, she wanted to protect it and the people in it. She loved and healed wounds. She inspired death itself.This book is mainly about the power of the words. You can love them or hate them but we can't deny their power. Men rise and fall because of them. Like Max, you can be strengthen by them. I loved this book. I felt inspired and alive while I was reading it. I was grateful for everything I have, the people around me, my own Hansi, my lovely Rosa, even a Rudy who saves me everyday. Death can take things away from you, but life can bring something back, something you didn't even expected. And when they come back, we hug, cry and fall to the floor.